Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Uniquely American

The other day I was looking through the new advertisements made by AT&T.  It is hands painted and positioned to represent different countries while holding an AT&T phone.

Check them out here.

 Each one represents a different country to show how AT&T covers the nation, not just the US.  There are so many of them, as you can see here, but none of them were for the United States.  But then I started to think about what the one for the US would even look like.  Unlike France that has a known image like the Eiffel Tower, we don't really have one defining structure.

Some ideas I thought of to represent America...

-The Statue of Liberty

-A baseball scene, as baseball is "America's Pastime"

-A bald eagle

-The White House

-The Capital Building

These were all I could think of for uniquely American symbols.  That is probably why AT&T didn't include America in the campaign.  Also, the audience is directed towards Americans and showing them the international side, so maybe some "American hands" were not needed to effectively draw consumers.

2 comments:

  1. Those are great ideas, Dani! I think another classic American image would be one of a barbeque or the flag. I also think a reason there are no American hands is because today, images of our liberty and country may be mundane to the average American consumer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dani,
    I think this is a really interesting and thoughtful post! I responded to it by looking at the campaign through a different lens on my blog.

    Link: http://annabanana127.blogspot.com/2011/06/hands-of-how-we-view-world.html

    Check it out- you inspired it!

    ReplyDelete