Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Land of the Free?


Just two minutes ago, I was listening to the song “Wavin’ Flag” by K’naan.  The first line of the song is “When I get older I will be stronger.  
They'll call me freedom, just like a wavin' flag.”  But I started to think, do you gain freedom when you get older, or lose freedom?  Well, there is the obvious, that with certain steps in your life you gain freedom.  At sixteen, I can drive.  That alone opens up so many possibilities, and gives me more independence.  But on the other hand, when you are a little kid, you can get away with much more.  You have the cuteness factor tied in with the well-known statement “she doesn’t know any better”.  The older you get, the more you have to pay for the choices you make and accept the consequences for your actions.  Once you hit eighteen, you are now tried as an adult.  It’s this dichotomy between gaining some freedom and losing some more.

When it comes to freedom, we live in America “the free country”.  But we all know this isn’t true.  Our constitution consists of laws and guidelines for us as a nation to follow, and we must accept the consequences of not following these rules.  We have the freedom, as humans, to make our own decisions, but have to realize they may backfire.  And this fear of the consequences conditions many people to follow these rules.  But by following the laws that someone else makes up, are we really free?  K’naan says later in the song; “So we struggling, fighting to eat
, and we wondering when we'll be free.”  We walk the fine line of having many freedoms, but also having repercussions for ensuing our freedom.  Where is this boundary?  We are stuck wondering when and if we are free.

6 comments:

  1. Dani, I read this blog post the day that you wrote it, and three days later, I can't stop thinking about the freedom dichotomy that you brought up. It's so true. It's funny because my whole life I have always wanted to be older, because there always seems to be a set of privileges that I don't have. Whether it be not wanting a bed time, to wanting to drive myself, to wanting to go to college, there's always something more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani-
    First off, I think its REALLY cool that you are weaving music into each blog post. Music has become routine in teenagers daily lives today, including myself. In fact, I am listening to coldplay right now!! Not gonna lie. Haha

    But music truly does have a HUGE influence on people. I have heard the song "Wavin' Flag" by K'naan. I couldn't help but think what would provoke a person to write such powerful lyrics about freedom? So, I did some research. Turns out, K'naan was raised in Somalia, and lived there throughout the Somali Civil War. During this war, a man named Siad Barre (dictator in Somalia from 1969-1991) obtained a repressive regime of Somalia. Repressive, means inhibiting or restraining the freedom of a group of people. Just something interesting to think about next time you listen to "Wavin' Flag"...I know that I look at this song with much more seriousness and respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani,
    I actually love this song and I barely watched the World Cup. I agree with your statements on freedom. When I got my license I was confident that I had never been more free in my life. I could go wherever and do whatever I wanted. But with that freedom also came the responsibility of managing my money to pay for gas. It is not only the personal repercussions of freedom that hold us back but the limitations on the freedom itself.
    Also Sarah I loved your comment on the artist K'naan. It made me reflect on how freedom has a wildly different definition for different people. For the average north shore teenager it is getting your license, being able to see R rated movies and voting. But for a teenager in Somalia between 1969-91 it means not having an oppressive dictator controlling your country. Freedom is relative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dani-

    I really enjoyed your post, and think it is so interesting that you have decided to incorporate music into your posts!

    I also really like this song and after reading your post, I now think a lot deeper about it's lyrics. I agree with your statements regarding freedom. Freedom is not a simple black or white, definitive answer. Although for the most part I associate with getting older, it means receiving more freedom, but that is not always the case. However, getting older does mean more privileges (such as getting a driver's license, becoming a legal adult, going to college, etc.). I agree with Anna in that more privileges means more responsibility, which can sometimes hold us back freedom. I also think Anna makes a great point by saying that "freedom is relative".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Dani -- more music. And include more lyrics as well beyond the quote (which was well-integrated). But it might be instructive to revisit this post once we have looked more closely at how the American government was originally formed. Can you find a news article that might apply?

    Do you really feel as though restrictions have increased as you age? Do you ever think about economic determinism? That some are freer than others based on their relative station in life?

    Keep thinking these deep thoughts!

    ReplyDelete